Thursday, June 4, 2020

2020

We are almost halfway into 2020 and it's been eye-opening on every level. From the corona virus global pandemic, the economic shutdown, George Floyd's murder, the protests and riots, crisis and chaos...the division among us has never been more apparent. Although it is often heart-breaking, I make it a point to watch the news every morning and listen to the New York Times "The Daily" podcast so I am informed. Ignorance may be bliss but this is not the time for us to sit idly by. 

I don't often publicly speak about matters such as these, but rather I have private conversations with my loved ones on the so-called touchy topics. In the days following Floyd's death, I have focused on reading, listening and learning through activists, influencers and podcasts, but now it's time that I break my uncomfortable silence. Finding the right words is tough and I know I will make mistakes along the way, but I will do better as I continue to learn and grow. This blog has always been a place to share my experiences and opinions, so I am using my outlet to release the feelings that are weighing heavy on my heart.

It's a scary and polarizing time in our country. Having a child in the midst of this is even more challenging. I don't take my responsibility as a mother of a white male lightly. I am digging deep within myself to acknowledge my white privilege, understand the systematic racism that plagues our country, take a hard look at my own learned prejudices, and looking to recommended resources for change. I want a better world for my son's generation and that starts with me, and how my husband and I raise him.

I will teach Jack to be kind to everyone - no matter their race, religion, political view, socioeconomic status, gender or sexual preference. I will teach him to be actively anti-racist. I will teach him to be an ally to people of color. I will teach him to understand his privilege and be empathetic to others. I will teach him to listen more, and speak less. In the era of #MeToo, and as a victim of sexual assault myself, I will teach him to treat women and their bodies with respect. I will teach him about climate change and protecting our planet. I will teach him that a simple smile can completely change a stranger's day. I will teach him to accept and value peoples' differences. I will teach him to stand up for what is right and what he believes in.

I want change - and beyond the internal work I am doing, the hard conversations I am having, and how I am planning to parent - I am going to take action and VOTE in the upcoming local and presidential elections. I hope you do the same.

1 comment: