Monday, May 22, 2023

Den

The den is one of my favorite rooms in our home - it's cozy, filled with greenery and drenched in natural sunlight. I love to curl up here with a good book & Zoey snuggled on my lap, or roll out my yoga mat, light incense and enjoy a peaceful flow.

When we first moved in to our house, we had our former dining table in this room since it is positioned right off the kitchen and is laid out on the floorplan as the dining room. But it never felt right - too tight to comfortably move throughout the room if we were seated around the table, and Thanksgiving dinner with extended family felt cramped. The daybed was in the now-dining room with the bookshelves but it felt too big and vast for the intimate environment I was going for. So...I swapped the rooms! Now I'm obsessed with each respective space (check out our dining room makeover). 

The den has a true mix of old and new - the papasan chair is from my bedroom in my childhood home. We just traded in a new cushion to match the neutral color palette. The daybed was from my parent's house as well. It's a great spot for an afternoon nap, and provides an additional bed when we have more overnight visitors than the guest room will accommodate. Plus tons of pillows to up the relaxation level with a combo of stripes, prints and textures. 

To complete the room, we added boho and coastal touches, which creates a seamless transition to the neighboring dining room. A woven light fixture with a dimmer, a round rattan mirror to reflect the sunshine streaming through the window, and a terrazzo side table for a place to put a cup of coffee - all of which bring the room together for both function and aesthetics.

I love the hanging baskets with plants to add some extra dimension and life to the room. The wooden ladder showcases the Mexican blanket I bought in Cabo on my girls trip last year, and the Florida Keys map was my 30th birthday gift from Greg. My family has been vacationing in the Keys for as long as I can remember, and Greg and I have made many trips there over the years (2021, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2011) including our wedding in Key West! I like finding ways to incorporate pieces in our home that tell our story - from treasures we have found traveling to framed family photos, and a map dotted with places holding special memories we have made together.







No comments:

Post a Comment