Thursday, June 7, 2018

First Trimester Recap

{Baby Buckman at 12 weeks}

Now that I've made it through the first trimester of pregnancy and finally announced our exciting news to more than just our family and closest friends, I can share a little more about my experience.  Today I am reflecting on the first three months, including when I found out, how we told our parents and all the symptoms in between.

I found out I was pregnant on March 26th after being five days late. I really didn't want to get my hopes up since I was anything but regular after going off the pill at the end of November, but decided it was time to find out one way or another. That morning, I took a test first thing and was absolutely shocked when the digital screen read "pregnant"!! I promptly took two more tests to be sure. Greg was already at work and I was bursting at the seams to tell him, but didn't want to tell him over the phone. Luckily I didn't have to wait all day before sharing the good news with him. He picked me up from work for a lunch date and as soon as I said the words, "I'm pregnant!" out loud I started crying! Greg was equal parts surprised and excited! It was so nice to have a mini celebration with him and keep the secret just between us for a little bit.

We told my parents a couple days later. They sold their home and closed at the end of March. Greg and I went over to their house to help pack up the last few things the night before closing. It was a very emotional and tearful goodbye to my childhood home, but that night over takeout at our place, I told them the news. They were both ecstatic! It was the perfect way to close one chapter and begin another.

Our first ultrasound appointment was on April 30th, at almost 10 weeks. Seeing the heartbeat on the monitor was a truly unforgettable experience. Greg squeezed my leg as we saw our little baby kicking its feet. We waited until Mother's Day to tell Greg's family so we could do it in person. We gave Greg's mom a card with the first ultrasound photo inside. We both expected tears but I guess she already had a hunch that I was pregnant so she wasn't nearly as surprised. It was so nice to share our news and celebrate the holiday together.

To be totally honest, as excited as I am, the first trimester was pretty rough. Luckily I didn't vomit like some women, but I had morning sickness that lasted all. day. long. I've never eaten so many Goldfish crackers in my life - it's literally the only thing that sounded appetizing when I was nauseous at all hours of the day and night. I also had frequent headaches and unbearable migraines! The exhaustion and lack of energy was crazy - I was tired all the time. I would fall asleep on the couch every night before 8pm, and sleep until my 6am alarm (with multiple bathroom trips in between!) I have never been much of a nap person, but my weekends were spent napping on and off.

Exercising has been a huge part of my lifestyle, but was really on the backburner throughout the first trimester. I had barely enough energy to take a walk or practice yoga. The few times I did muster up enough energy to lift weights, I would be out of breath so quickly and had to modify my workouts. I'm really looking forward to the second trimester, hopefully with less nausea and more stamina! I'm currently 15 weeks and finally starting to feel like myself again.

On top of not feeling well, there are a lot of things that I've had to give up, especially on the food and drink front. Raw sushi has been at the top of the list of hardest foods to avoid, and I completely cut out my daily cup of coffee! I was not a big alcohol drinker to begin with, but going to Coachella a couple weeks after I found out made the experience very interesting. (For the record, the photo of me holding a beer at the festival was totally staged with my friend's drink!)

Greg has been a huge support system for me throughout this journey so far, between offering up back rubs, coming with me to the doctor's appointments, dealing with my crazy hormones and indulging my cravings for Chick-fil-A. We could not be more excited to become parents and I can't wait to start this new chapter of our lives together! I have seen how amazing he is with our nieces and nephews and know he is going to be the BEST dad! Baby Buckman is due at the beginning of December, and I'm so excited to experience the holidays with our new bundle of joy!

1 comment:

  1. hello, i'm a new follower of your amazing blog, can you follow mine on my blog?
    https://amoriemeraviglie.blogspot.com/
    many thanks
    TIZIANA

    ReplyDelete